Alcoholism / Maria Gifford ; with Stacy Friedman and Rich Majerus.
Includes the origins of alcohol and discovery of alcoholism as a medical disease; the biology of alcoholism and its effects on the body; current diagnostic and treatment methods. The book also explores alcoholism-related problems such as domestic abuse, fetal alcohol syndrome, drunk driving, and suicide. Also includes discussion of the church and alcohol abuse, alcohol in colonial America, alcoholism vs. dependency vs. abuse, symptoms and causes, health complications, Alcoholics Anonymous, socialized teen drinking, medications, non-drug approaches, and asks the question of whether alcoholism is a moral failing or legitimate disease.
- ISBN: 9780313359088 (alk. paper)
- ISBN: 0313359083 (alk. paper)
- ISBN: 9780313359095 (ebook)
- ISBN: 0313359091 (ebook)
- Physical Description: xvi, 157 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Publisher: Santa Barbara, Calif. : Greenwood Press/ABC-CLIO, c2010.
|Bibliography, etc. Note:||
Includes bibliographical references (p. -146) and index.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
|Formatted Contents Note:||
Alcoholism, historically -- Alcohol use and abuse -- Diagnosing and treating alcoholism -- Alcoholism and society -- Alcoholism-related problems -- Alcoholism today and beyond.
Search for related items by subject
|Subject:||Alcoholism > Popular works.
Alcoholism > Popular Works.
Search for related items by series
- 1 of 1 copy available at Kirtland Community College.
- 0 current holds with 1 total copy.