Assessment of young children : a collaborative approach / Lisa B. Fiore.
- 1 of 1 copy available at Kirtland Community College.
0 current holds with 1 total copy.
|Location||Call Number / Copy Notes||Barcode||Shelving Location||Status||Due Date|
|Kirtland Community College Library||LB 1139.23 .F56 2012||30775305446651||General Collection||Available||-|
- ISBN: 9780415888110 (hardback)
- ISBN: 0415888115 (hardback)
- ISBN: 9780415888127
- ISBN: 0415888123
- ISBN: 9780203831779
- ISBN: 0203831772
- Physical Description: xiii, 200 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Publisher: New York, NY : Routledge, 2012.
|Bibliography, etc. Note:||
Includes bibliographical references (p. -194) and index.
|Formatted Contents Note:||
1. What do you notice? : A closer look at accountability ; A closer look at assessment ; Effects of accountability and assessment ; Noticing ; Why? The seeds of inquiry ; Who? Examining the learning group ; When? Developmentally appropriate practice ; How? Considering assessment methods and tools ; What? What does it all mean? -- 2. Role of the environment : Considering context: classroom, school, community ; Cultural issues ; Climate-guidelines and standards -- 3. Observation : Setting goals ; Looking and listening ; Documentation as noun (product) and verb (process) ; Turning observation into advocacy -- 4. Standardized assessment : Traditional assessment ; No Child Left Behind Act ; A letter from the President ; Objectivity vs. subjectivity ; Teacher-created assessments ; Paradigm shifts and cultural shifts ; Global response ; Achievement 101 -- 5. Authentic assessment : On a personal level ; On a professional level ; Balancing idealism and reality ; Collaboration ; Response to intervention ; Parents' perspective ; Looking at students' work -- 6. The purpose, power, and 'portance of plan : Play assessment ; Short-term and long-term benefits ; Historical views ; Recognizing significance in ordinary moments ; Social and emotional competence ; The play imperative -- 7. Vive la différence : Facets of diversity ; Anti-bias curriculum ; Culturally sensitive practice ; Differentiated instruction or universal design -- 8. Putting it all together : Evaluating data ; Writing reports and IEPs ; Utilizing technology ; Communicating with families, administrators, and legislators -- 9. Teacher as researcher : Ethics ; Inquiry ; Partners in the process.
"In an era where assessment tends to minimize or dismiss individual differences and often results in punitive outcomes or no action at all, Assessment of Young Children provides teachers with an approach to assessment that is in the best interest of both children and their families. Author Lisa B. Fiore explores a variety of ways to study and assess young children in their natural environments, while stressing the importance of bringing children and families into the process. This lively text helps the reader learn how to cultivate developmentally appropriate practice, create realistic expectations, examine children's work, interact in groups, and improve their teacher behavior. Accounts of real experiences from children, families, teachers, and administrators provide on-the-ground models of assessment strategies and demonstrate how children are affected"-- Provided by publisher.
Search for related items by subject
|Subject:||Early childhood education > Evaluation.